The term “Superfood,” or the best foods for diabetes, defines items and beverages that promote good health and benefits.
Remember, not all greens like iceberg lettuce and other healthy foods make healthy choices for people with diabetes.
However, one should always plan a nutritious meal, including high fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants, to improve the body’s glucose level and fight the craving for sugary foods.
The key here is to keep a tab on your eating habits. Include the following list of superfoods that are good for diabetes.
On the positive side, these foods will effectively promote overall health and manages diabetes.
The good news is that tomatoes are non-starchy fruits that can be consumed raw, pureed, or in a sauce form. It is power-packed with:
- Enriched in nutrients like vitamin A & C and potassium.
- It helps to reduce type 2 diabetes.
NB: A study published by the International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition concluded that the consumption of about 1–2 medium-sized tomatoes per day helps lower blood pressure in type 2 diabetic patients.
2. Handful of nuts & seed
The essential micronutrients like zinc, vitamin E, and folic acid present in nuts & seeds (walnuts, flax, and pumpkin seeds) help diabetic patients in the following ways:
- Reduce diabetic inflammation with a low GI score
- Lower bad cholesterol and blood sugar level
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- Maintain gut health and curb hunger
3. Whole grains, barley, and other lentils
Believe it or not, the best foods for diabetes are not some exotic ingredients but a simple everyday staple.
All type of whole grains like oats, quinoa, farro is excellent sources of:
- Antioxidant, soluble, and insoluble fiber.
- Control blood cholesterol and stabilize sugar level.
On the other hand, lentils provide vitamin B, chromium, folate, complex carbs, and protein.
4. Dark green leafy vegetables
Greens like kale, spinach, collards, and other leafy veggies are powerhouses. Thus, packed with tons of goodness, including:
- Potassium and chemical like glucosamine to manage blood pressure
- Rich source of vitamin A, K, C, and iron that neutralizes cancer-causing substances.
5. Citrus fruits and oranges
Are you confused about which are the best superfoods for diabetes? Pick your favorite juicy and pulpy fruit like oranges, grapes, lemon, or lime to get your daily dose of fiber.
- Balance insulin levels and sensitivity
- Covert sugar into energy to slow down sugar absorption
However, all these citrus fruits are lower in GI score, especially the grapefruit with 25 only.
6. Food rich in omega-3 fatty acid
Healthy fatty acids like omega-3 are present in protein-rich foods like wild salmon and other fishes (herring, albacore tuna, mackerel).
Doctors recommend diabetic people to eat fatty fish twice per week because:
- Excellent source of complex carbs, vitamin D, and selenium.
- Grilled, baked, or broiled fish promotes healthy skin, nails, and hair texture.
7. Low-fat yogurt or skimmed milk
The emerging researchers have shown that non – fat daily products are essential for a diabetic person because:
- Enriched in calcium and vitamin D
- It contains no added sugar and fat
- Help to strengthen bones and teeth
- Reduces the danger of type 2 diabetes
Tip for the day
Including these superfoods for diabetes in your daily meals help to build stronger immunity and glucose tolerance in the body.
‘Gift your health the love it always deserves.’