Getting to know foods that speed up aging and make you look older is very important. In essence, “Aging is a natural process, but how gracefully we age is determined by the food we eat.”
We all know that fried donuts, bagels, and beef are the worst dietary ever as they expand our waistline. But they do a lot more than giving you unwanted pounds—they age you from inside out.
On the contrary, foods rich in vitamins and minerals reflect on the body’s internal chemistry.
These foods immune our body to deal with oxidative stress and build resilience to inflammatory responses.
The key here is to identify and control some foods that speed up aging from the list below:
1. Trans fat and partially hydrogenated oils
Did you know that all the processed food contains 80% of trans-fat? The fact actively demonstrates that you need to get your priorities right because:
- These oils erode the body’s basic mechanisms and lead to numerous diseases.
- It causes cellular degeneration-malfunctioning of cells.
- The presence of free radicals causes DNA impairment.
- Spread inflammation and lower the good cholesterol.
- According to research, trans fat makes your skin more vulnerable to UVR damage and more prone to skin cancer.
2. Food high in fructose, glucose, and dextrose
Recent research highlights that advanced glycation-improper binding of proteins and sugars dampens body repair mechanism.
Everybody with a sweet tooth is hitting the fast forward button of premature aging as:
- It can lead to inflammation in the body, resulting in many skin issues, like wrinkles, acne, and allergic reactions.
- Increase the possibility of long-term oxidative stress.
- Accumulation of advanced glycation end products breaks down collagen, therefore reduced skin elasticity.
- A high sugar level suppresses the human growth hormone.
3. Refined carbohydrates
Starch and sugar are eventually the same things. The moment starch enters your bloodstream; it transforms into sugar. So, rice cakes, white bread, and pastries are all examples of food that speed up aging.
One must remember that refined carbohydrates also cause:
- Mild inflammation in the body
- Worsen skin problems such as acne and eczema.
- Mood disorders
- Linked to high blood pressure
Tip: Includes more dietary fibers with high nutritional value.
“Goodbye carbs, Hello longevity.”
4. Deep grilled and roasted food
Yes, the bad news is that BBQ is aging you. Just quadruple the health risk with your cooking temperature.
Deep grilled and roasted foods are harmful because:
- They cause blood vessel contraction that leads to stiffness.
- Damage collagen and elastin- increasing chances of sagging skin.
- Hormonal misbalance- Leading to polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Increased risk of high blood pressure and diabetes
Healthy alternative: Choose healthier cooking options like poach, stew, and steam.
5. Energy drinks or anything caffeinated
Doctors say that carbonated, fizzy, and sweetened drinks like Caffeine, taurine, guarana, ginseng, L-carnitine, and yohimbine deplete the body of the moisture that it needs.
Surprisingly, they also cause DNA damage in the following ways:
- Sugary drinks and beverages shrink Telomeres in DNA.
- Sugar-sweetened soft drinks cause cellular wear and tear.
6. Food high in sodium
All types of chips, canned food, etc., are foods that speed up aging your body cells’ wrecking your skin. This is because:
- The osmotic balance of the body gets affected.
- This leads to your body getting dehydrated
- Increases the water retention- making you look puffy.
Tip for a lifetime
Your body is your home, and unhealthy food habits are like keeping your home untidy. The safest would be to have a nutrient-dense diet to replenish and rejuvenate your body.
‘ Your body is your temple and place to live in.”