Potatoes are everyone’s favorite. Everyone knows about its properties, which are quite high in calories – almost 2-3 times higher than other vegetables.
Usually, potatoes are high on the glycemic index (GI), making them unsuitable for people with diabetes.
On the contrary, research shows that potatoes are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that reduce heart disease risk, promote blood sugar control, and boost immunity.
Therefore we do not exclude these underground tubers from our diet because potatoes with the skin on have only 80 kcal per 100 grams. As long as the potato is prepared without adding too much salt or saturated fat, it is an excellent dieter choice.
However, the caloric content of potatoes also depending on the type and cooking methods.
This article will show you three unusual ways of making delicious low-calorie potato recipes to help you lose weight and boost your nutrition.
Recipe #1. Boiled potatoes for weight loss
Boiled potatoes with skin + sauce (2 options of sauce of your taste)
Ingredients (1 serving/portion)
- 200 grams of potatoes (1 medium or two small pieces of potatoes) wash them well.
Ingredients for sauce options 1:
- Dill / parsley / cilantro / basil / arugula – choose to your favorite
- Lemon juice
- Garlic oil (See step-by-step instructions on how to make garlic oil below)
Ingredients for sauce options 2:
- ½ medium onion
- One tomato
- ½ medium bell pepper
- Three sprigs of your favorite greens
- 1 tsp of olive oil (or garlic oil)
- 200 gram of potatoes, wash very well.
- Bring water to a boil in a pot.
- Add salt and stir with potatoes.
- Cover with a lid and cook until done. Taste with sauce
sauce options 1
- Grind five sprigs of greens in a blender (dill/parsley/cilantro/basil/arugula – choose your favorite).
- Add nutmeg
- 2 tsp of lemon juice,
- 1 tsp of garlic oil.
sauce options 2
- Combine chopped ½ onion + 1 tomato + ½ bell pepper in a saucepan, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped greens (3 sprigs of your favorite greens)
- And add 1 tsp olive oil (or garlic oil).
To make garlic oil
- 4-5 cloves of garlic (no need to peel the garlic!)
- Put in a small/ individual cupcake tin.
- Add 1 tbsp of butter and put in the oven for 10 minutes at 160 C, or 320 F.
- After 10 minutes, take it out, throw out the garlic, and you can use the fragrant oil.
- The garlic oil can be stored in the refrigerator.
If desired, potatoes can be eaten with cheese (Parmesan/sheep cheese) – 30 grams.
Recipe #2 Baked potato for weight loss
Foil-wrapped oven-baked potato with skin
- 200 grams of potato
- Preheat the oven
- Wash potatoes very well
- Then use a sharp knife to make several deep cuts in each potato, but leaving the bottom intact so that it grips the whole potato together.
- Sprinkle them with salt and nutmeg, then wrap the potatoes in foil.
- Transfer the wrapped potatoes to the hot oven to bake for 40 minutes at 190 C or 374F.
Recipe #3 Baked grated potato for weight loss
Ingredients (1 serving)
- One potato (average 200 grams)
- 1/2 white onion
- One egg,
- Two sprigs of your favorite greens,
- One tablespoon of whole grains wheat flour (or starch)
- Peel the potatoes and grate them on a large grater, squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Grate the onion on a fine grater and also squeeze out the excess liquid
- Then mix the potatoes, onions, egg, salt, chopped greens, nutmeg, flour together.
- Scoop a handful of the mixed potato into your hands and form it into a ball
- Place each ball in a baking sheet and bake at 180 C for 10-15 minutes on one side and 10-15 minutes on the other side until golden brown.
Taste with your favorite sauce.
Don’t be afraid of eating potatoes: 1-2 times a week can easily be allowed for breakfast or lunch without worrying about your waistline.
The secret of eating potatoes simple:
- It is less amount of potatoes – fewer calories you receive. An average portion of 150-200 grams per portion is better for weight loss.
- Cooling potatoes after cooking may reduce their blood sugar impact and lower their glycemic index (GI) up to 25–26%, which is especially good for regulating metabolism and optimal weight loss.
Keep reading: How to make delicious fluffy butter pancakes