You need to include stretching in your daily routine.
Why? Because stretching every day can:
- Improves your joint movement
- Allows your muscles to function most effectively
- Promotes better posture
- Increases blood circulation
- Decreases your risk of injury
According to Bright Side, good flexibility plays a vital role in preventing critical diseases, such as arthritis, diabetes, and kidney problems.
For instance, research has explained that stretching can help improve overall flexibility, which is good for relieving stress by relaxing tense muscles and reducing muscle pain and back pain.
According to Harvard Medical School Publishing, stretching once won’t give you complete flexibility.
But, you’ll need to do it over a period of time and remain committed to the process.
So, if you stretch every day, you will start to get a flexible body in 2 to 4 weeks.
Now that you the benefits of adding stretches to your daily routine, how do you know which exercises to do?
Fortunately, in this article, we’ll show you the best stretching exercises to help you increase your flexibility.
1. Bridge Stretch (Also Known as Glute Bridge)
Bridge stretches are good for stabilizing your core, neck, spine, hips, and thighs.
- Lie on your back with both your hand at your sides and your knees bent.
- Tighten your abdominal and buttock muscles and slowly raise your hips, keeping your shoulders on the floor and feet flat.
- Hold it for 20 to 30 seconds. Repeat ten times.
2. Cat-cow stretch
Cat-cow stretch benefits: It is a perfect stretch exercise to correct and strengthen your spine and fix your posture and balance.
In general, Cat-Cow Stretch is believed to be a useful stress-reliever since it involves inhalation or exhalation of the breath.
- Begin on your hands and knees on the floor.
- As you inhale, allow your stomach to relax, arch your back, and raise your head.
- Pause for a few seconds.
- With an exhale, slowly round your back up the ceiling drawing your abs toward your spine, like a cat.
- Repeat ten times.
3. Extended puppy stretch
Extended puppy stretch benefits:
This stretch is excellent for the whole upper body, spine, abdomen, and shoulders. Also, it helps relaxed chronic strain in the shoulders and neck.
- Start with your hands and knees on the floor, keeping your hands under your shoulders, and your hips are above your knees.
- As you exhale, gently move your hands forward, dropping your chest down to the floor.
- Don’t let your elbows touch the floor.
- Hold for 30 seconds, then exhale and gradually move to the starting position.
- Repeat three times.
4. Back extension stretch
Back extension stretch is an excellent stretch to reduce your back pain.
- Lie down on your belly on the floor.
- Gently come up on your elbows, placing your stomach down to the floor.
- Next, push up on your hands, in a pseudo-push-up position while keeping your hips on the ground.
- Hold it for 30 seconds, repeat three times.
5. The hurdler hamstring stretch
This hamstring stretching stretch helps to promote overall calves, hamstring flexibility, as well as preventing and treating low back pain.
- Sit on the mat with one leg out straight.
- Then, bend the other leg at the knee and position your sole near your opposite inner thigh.
- Next, extend your arms and reach forward over the straightened leg.
- Hold for 10 seconds.
- Repeat on the other leg.
6. Side Lunge Stretch
Side lunge stretch helps to strengthen and stretches the legs, hip flexors, quads, and hamstrings.
- Lunge your left leg to the side, until the knee is curved 90 degrees.
- Your right leg is extended towards the right side, and your right foot is on the floor.
- Lean your upper body slightly forward.
- Hold this stretch for 20 seconds and then switch sides.