Superfoods that can help alleviate headaches come in all varieties. Actually, when debating to reduce the severity and frequency of headaches, the solution is to understand the potential causes.
Take a note of all the possible triggers, frequency, duration, and intensity. Pinpointing these patterns will help you lead in a better direction for your health.
But what do we usually do? Taking an over-the-counter pain killer isn’t that bad until you do it regularly.
Taking too many painkillers can be dangerous to your well-being in the long term, so it’s best to stick to healthy eating choices.
Here are 8 effective superfoods to naturally alleviate headaches:
The fruit has natural antihistamine properties. It is also power-packed with vitamins A and C, high water content, and other essential antioxidants.
Doctors recommend the frequent consumption of watermelons to alleviate headaches because:
- Natural electrolytes like potassium usher water into cells and organs.
- Provides 92% water content that naturally fights headaches.
- Increase blood volume and oxygen availability to the brain.
It is an all-time undisputed ruler for chronic and mild headaches. The properties of wellness that make ginger suitable for complementary treatment of headaches are:
- Presence of gingerol- natural antihistamine and analgesic properties.
- Increases serotonin levels improve the functionality of your nervous system and brain.
How to use ginger to alleviate headaches:
- You should massage several drops of diluted ginger oil into your forehead, temples, and back of your neck once or twice every day says, Health Line.
- Sipping ginger tea
- Drink ginger ale
- Add fresh ginger to your salads or soup.
- Take ginger lozenge
3. Good quality nuts and seeds can alleviate headaches.
Remember that the nuts should be fresh and non-coated, and non-salted. Otherwise, it could be a migraine trigger.
Tiny nuts (fox nuts, almonds, and pumpkin seeds) can alleviate headaches because they are crammed with:
- Magnesium, copper, and zinc – facilitating more than 250 reactions in the body.
- Oxalates support enzyme function and mineral balancing.
- Carrier of B-vitamins- Helping in the secretion of serotonin.
4. Quinoa good for headaches
Quinoa is proven to alleviate headaches because it is packed with nutrients such as:
5. Leafy green vegetables
Believe it or not, more greens mean fewer headaches. Vegetables like kale, spinach, and broccoli prevent platelets in your blood from clumping, which is also a potential trigger for headaches.
Health experts and nutritionists advise leafy green vegetables regular intake to alleviate headaches naturally because:
- Presence of dietary folate content.
- Riboflavin and CoQ10 improve mitochondrial activity.
- High source of magnesium- expanding blood vessels.
The best is that their application is dimensionless. You can chop it into a salad, blend in your smoothie, and the list goes on.
7. Mackerel and salmon
Research conducted showcased that patients showed a 70 percent improvement in the length of their headaches after taking 2 g of omega-3 fatty acids. The evidence encouraged people to include it in their diets as:
- They have a therapeutic effect on autoimmune and inflammatory diseases.
- Reduce the rapid platelet aggregation.
Eating bananas may provide relief when you are experiencing a headache. This is because bananas have:
- Complex carbohydrates
- B vitamins
All these elements are known to alleviate headaches.
It all starts with your gut!
Even though the research is inadequate and controversial, fuelling your body with proper nutrients reduces the chances of headaches.
Good gut health means good health. Tweak your diet and incorporate lots of “pain-safe food and beverages” or plant-based.
‘The grounds of all happiness start with a healthy diet and good food.’